Good oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist will help you maintain healthy teeth and gums.
Here are 10 tips from the team at Advanced Dental Aesthetics to help you look after your teeth.
- Brush at least twice a day. The best time to brush your teeth is after meals. Choose a toothbrush with a small head for better access to back teeth. Soft bristles are kinder on your gums.
- Brush thoroughly. For optimum results brush your teeth for between two and three minutes.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoride helps to harden tooth enamel and reduces your risk of tooth decay.
- Floss your teeth daily. Use a slow and gentle sawing motion. Ask your dentist for instructions if you’re unsure on the technique you should use.
- Reduce your intake of acidic drinks like soft drinks, fizzy drinks, cordials and fruit juices. Food acids soften tooth material and dissolve the minerals in tooth enamel, causing holes (cavities or caries). In severe cases, teeth may be ‘eaten’ right down to the gum.
- Limit sugary foods. Bacteria in dental plaque change sugars into acids which dissolve the minerals in your teeth and lead to cavities.
- Protect your teeth from injury. Wear a mouth-guard when playing sports. You can buy these off the shelf or have them custom-fitted by your dentist.
- Try to save a knocked-out tooth. If possible, hold the tooth back in place while you seek immediate dental advice. If this is not possible, wrap the tooth in plastic or place it in milk and seek dental advice immediately.
- Avoid using your teeth for anything other than chewing food. If you use them to crack nuts, remove bottle tops or rip open packaging, you risk chipping or even breaking your teeth.
- See your dentist for regular check-ups. You should also visit your dentist if you have a dental problem such as a toothache or bleeding gums.
For more information book an appointment with us at Advance Dental Aesthetics at email@example.com or call 01702 584000